Back and forth, left wing swing to north
Update: it's finally come together, Voltron style, from parts old, new, ebayed, and brought over by my parents. I'm excited. Can't wait to try it out.
Sweet, mere weeks before my visit to South Korea, North Korea starts testing nuclear weapons. As if the weapons themselves aren't dangerous enough, wasn't it the A-Bomb in Japan that created Godzilla, back in the 40's?
One interesting thing about a blog: you can look back and see what you were doing, and even kinda remember what you were thinking, at any time in the past. That's quite unusual for me, since I've never kept a diary, and I have a shocking memory. Events pass through my consciousness faster than a sausage sanger through a wolverine with irritable bowel syndrome.
Apparently, exactly one year ago I was farting about in London trying to get my work visa for Sweden. That means, give or take a couple of days, I've been living in Sweden a year now. That also means that if my stay here is two years, as was initially planned, it's half gone.
What have I learned so far? I wish I had some profound points of wisdom, but the only thing swimming in my head is: Offhand I'd say I haven't learned a goddamned thing. Certain joblike techniques and facts, a modest but serviceable understanding of the Swedish language. I've seen and done some cool stuff, and met some cool people.
Things that I wouldn't have predicted:
1) Certain people whom I thought I was closest to, I have had little to no contact with,
2) The person outside Scandinavia with whom I've had the most contact, I've only met in person four times,
3) Strange things do sometimes happen, if you can get yourself into the right sort of situation,
4) Through some kind of wierd, vain, and possibly mildly psychotic logic: having a blog -> wanting my life to appear interesting to others -> doing lots of cool things -> actually having an interesting life (to me).
I've also taken approximately 9 weeks of holidays in the slightly less than a year I've been working here, which I suppose I've been pretty lucky about. Someone remind me why I should get a real job?
There's a dude in my swedish class who looks exactly like Crab Man, from My Name is Earl. Even has sorta the same personality. He's half African/half German. I can't remember his name, but I know it sounds kinda like the German word for pantsuit, whatever that is.
I'll try to come up with an excuse to take a pic of him so y'all can compare.
I realise this is the 2nd post in a row about people who look like characters in My Name is Earl. I don't see that as a bad thing, and I hope I can continue the trend. Got my fingers crossed for Catalina next, but I bet I get Randy.
Sweet, mere weeks before my visit to South Korea, North Korea starts testing nuclear weapons. As if the weapons themselves aren't dangerous enough, wasn't it the A-Bomb in Japan that created Godzilla, back in the 40's?
* * * * *
One interesting thing about a blog: you can look back and see what you were doing, and even kinda remember what you were thinking, at any time in the past. That's quite unusual for me, since I've never kept a diary, and I have a shocking memory. Events pass through my consciousness faster than a sausage sanger through a wolverine with irritable bowel syndrome.
Apparently, exactly one year ago I was farting about in London trying to get my work visa for Sweden. That means, give or take a couple of days, I've been living in Sweden a year now. That also means that if my stay here is two years, as was initially planned, it's half gone.
What have I learned so far? I wish I had some profound points of wisdom, but the only thing swimming in my head is: Offhand I'd say I haven't learned a goddamned thing. Certain joblike techniques and facts, a modest but serviceable understanding of the Swedish language. I've seen and done some cool stuff, and met some cool people.
Things that I wouldn't have predicted:
1) Certain people whom I thought I was closest to, I have had little to no contact with,
2) The person outside Scandinavia with whom I've had the most contact, I've only met in person four times,
3) Strange things do sometimes happen, if you can get yourself into the right sort of situation,
4) Through some kind of wierd, vain, and possibly mildly psychotic logic: having a blog -> wanting my life to appear interesting to others -> doing lots of cool things -> actually having an interesting life (to me).
I've also taken approximately 9 weeks of holidays in the slightly less than a year I've been working here, which I suppose I've been pretty lucky about. Someone remind me why I should get a real job?
* * * * *
There's a dude in my swedish class who looks exactly like Crab Man, from My Name is Earl. Even has sorta the same personality. He's half African/half German. I can't remember his name, but I know it sounds kinda like the German word for pantsuit, whatever that is.
I'll try to come up with an excuse to take a pic of him so y'all can compare.
I realise this is the 2nd post in a row about people who look like characters in My Name is Earl. I don't see that as a bad thing, and I hope I can continue the trend. Got my fingers crossed for Catalina next, but I bet I get Randy.

10 Comments:
surely you can squeeze in a small holiday back home in around early november can't you??? it won't be the same without the dancing ninja rabbit thingy...
Oh Randy..
Yeah - this time last year I was stuck in Sydney feeling depressed about my job! The other cool date that I have recorded due to blog was the morning that I woke up with a plan of moving to London in my head - seamingly from nowhere (i.e was not on the cards when I went to bed, was on the cards when I woke up). It was weird and I remember thinking "what does this mean I wonder"? Turns out it means that I move to London. The subconcious is just so subtle sometimes...
The interpretation of dreams is tricky business. Like: if you have overtly sexual dreams, it means you subconsciously want to buy a top hat. I think that's how it goes. Why are top hat sales so low???
alex - it's not 100% ruled out, but it's extremely complicated. You know I'll be there in spirit, whatever the case.
Argh!!! What is that thing!! I don't like cameras at the best of times, let alone cameras with special arms to pinch you on the bottom with!
Gonna go diving with seals near San Diego in December, should be a good chance to try it out.
Mmm seals. Shark food.
Hopefully my new baby doesn't meet the same fate as this one!!
Wow. Diving with seals. It is the new diving with dolphins, I have heard*. Very snappy.
*May not be true. May have heard nothing of the sort.
I had entertained thoughts of doing a cage dive with Great Whites at Guadalupe. Check it out: open-top submersible cage.
I absolutely must do this, and soon, but two factors got in the way:
a) 2600 USD for 3 days of diving (I'm sure I could have worked something out - but compared to a 17 day reef trip for 750AUD it's kinda pricey!)
b) Only a few boats go there, and all trips are booked out 6 months in advance (bugger).
Oooh, pretty camera!
Wow - I thought you were already an interesting person - I didn't realise it was a whole complex blog-life symbiosis chicken and egg style thing, but i do enjoy your blog, and i dont mind saying so.
Puff, puff.
Post a Comment
<< Home