Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Some updates in point form

  • Going skiing this weekend in Åre with the alpine club at uni. Apparently the largest ski resort in northern Europe (i.e. north of the alps).

    I said to the girl organizing it "I have a friend from Norway who says Swedes aren't real vikings, only Norwegians, can you prove her wrong?" and she replied "Yes". Should be a good weekend!

    (Friend in question is of course the inimitable Guurocknroll.)

  • Randomly happened to meet a guy who is a divemaster... in Umeå... (WHY??). Apparently there are two dive shops in Umeå (WHY?????).

    The one he chooses to patronize runs trips over to Norway to do night dives in the fjords during winter. I asked isn't that cold? He said, "No, the water temperature is about 6 degrees, even though the air is about -20". I said "You mispronounced the English word 'yes'".

    Apparently on these dives you often see giant spider crabs, with each leg as long as a human arm. Here's a pic I found on the web:

    The shop has a pretty killer boat too:



    Like to see that one do battle, mano a mano, with a reef edge.


  • Work? Oh yeah, work. I continue to diversify my options. Mostly pretty easy stuff, but I'm learning a lot of practical tools.
  1. Some computer vision stuff. Easy, straightforward, but good to learn this kind of guff.
  2. Finding optimal inputs for experiments in identifying flow resistance parameters in hydrostatic systems (related to the Hydrocephalus stuff).
  3. Might be getting involved with analysis of MRI images, with some guys from Michigan, also in relation to studying flow in the brian/spinal column.
  4. Finding explicit Lyapunov functions for generating orbitally stable oscillations in mechanical systems. My boss says: some results here might be a nice reason for you to go visit spain, and talk to the people there.
  • The 60-80cm of snow cover here is starting to melt, which means that every single crap a dog has deposited on the side of the road over the last 5 months is being reintroduced to the world, perfectly preserved, like Ötzi the 5000 year old Iceman. Really, every few metres you see a new pile of frozen fudge. This is a side of northern life I hadn't anticipated.

14 Comments:

Blogger tangles said...

That dog poop is like Encino Man (the 1992 rediculously bad movie)!. It is like watching that movie now, and uncovering the stiky crappy past of early 90's comedy (shudder).

Although, if you ever want to re-learn how to wear fluro colours and big hair, do rent this film.

5:10 AM  
Blogger tangles said...

Also, that boat looks hella cool. It will be perfect for making your get away, should you need to.

Also - can you eat those crabs? Wouldn't fancy trying to shove one in a saucepan.

5:12 AM  
Blogger I-Rock said...

In my life, I am always microseconds away from having to make a quick getaway. Yeah, you know, I live the life that I sing about in my song.

Re your comment "the 1992 rediculously bad movie": you misspelled "good".

8:09 AM  
Blogger K said...

that red thing is ugly. and so is the crab.

if you need any help with point 2, give us a holler.

Do you know Laurence?

9:20 PM  
Blogger I-Rock said...

of Arabia?

Don't think I know any Laurence. which connection might I know him through?

Does he have particular relevance to anything in this post?

Where was he on the night the incident took place?

Why do old people smell like cabbage?

I'm asking the questions here.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAN! That crab looks really cool. I would like to hang out with a whole group of those mothers. I would poke at them all with a big stick and see what they did. Hopefully nothing nasty to me. Hopefully they enjoy being poked with sticks. The sick bastards.

11:57 PM  
Blogger I-Rock said...

I'm guessing they react like, well, have you seen Aliens?

Yeah, they react like Sabruni Webber* when the guy from Mad About You betrays her.

* - obscure Dennis Pennis reference.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul Reiser?

Jeez, Ian, what connection? Is there any other?

11:13 AM  
Blogger I-Rock said...

But even within that connection, there are so many subconnections!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hm. I have had a team go over the last few comments... and they have concluded there is currently no connection, nor, in fact, has there ever BEEN any connection. Looks out for the coherence police Ian, i hear they got your name on a list. In pink highlighter.

12:56 PM  
Blogger dr. cok said...

GOLD RUSH

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's *that* connection with the sub-connection of UNSW and a branch of my high school... oh, and the Globe nightclub... at times...

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think we need a diagram....

3:17 PM  
Blogger I-Rock said...

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean by *that* connection, that much is clear...ish, but still, that is not a single connection, but a mess of connections, both from your end and mine. But my connections are almost entirely disjoint from yours, except those that can be found on this blog.

Are we talking about Laurence or Paul Reiser?

We need a chart like in this. (halfway through the video)

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home