Wednesday, February 15, 2006

And one pattern in the weave is interwoven with many others.

Update: For some more comical fare, here's an interesting story I heard on the Seal Rocks weekend. Some of my readers might know Brent from the dive club. He's on the right on this pic from my farewell party:



He, Brett and Plucky have been getting into paragliding lately, and Woody will soon join them. It's like hang-gliding, but with a parachute which also serves as a wing.

A couple of weeks ago, Brent successfully navigated his way into some power lines. We're not talking your standard 240v road-side wires, but the big-mama 11,000 volt bastards that roam across the countryside.

His chute got caught up across several wires, causing a largish explosion, and taking out the power to two towns. Also, one of the wires flew off in the explosion, whiplashed around and hit a roadsign, shooting arseloads of current directly into the ground right near a water main, the water main exploded, taking out the entire water supply to one town.

Last weekend, at Seal Rocks, he was jetskiing around on a shonky engine he'd already half blown up that morning. Suprisingly enough, it died, and he had to swim a couple of hundred metres to shore, in largish chop, dragging a jetski behind him.

Quite a run of luck, especially as this is all just after he got out of hospital, having driven a small tree branch pretty far into his leg while attempting to land his paraglider.

Hats off, to all of those who erred before me, and taught me how to survive.

I have little to say, but was sitting daydreaming about Emmy Noether's theorem, an interesting little mathematical nugget.

In Lagrangian systems, every differentiable symmetry creates a corresponding conserved quantity.

E.g. in classical (non-relativistic) mechanics,
1) Symmetry with respect to translation gives conservation of momentum.
2) Symmetry with respect to rotation gives conservation of angular momentum.
3) Symmetry with respect to time gives conservation of energy.

The third seems much more surprising and inticing than the others, for what has time to do with energy? But is that just because I'm not confused enough by the first two?

And if somebody read that with understanding and said "so what?" would they necessarily be missing anything apart from a certain dizzy feeling?

la di da.

Update: For my right-brain dominant readers, I offer the following plagiarised thought:
Mightn't we imagine a man who, never having had any acquaintance with music, comes to us and hears someone playing a reflective piece of Chopin and is convinced that this is a language and people merely want to keep the meaning secret from him?

Soulful expression in music - this cannot be recognized by rules. Why can't we imagine that it might be, by other beings? If a theme, a phrase, suddenly means something to you, you don't have to be able to explain it. Just this gesture has been made acessible to you.
Back to pictures and bad jokes later, I'm just in that sort of mood...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could have just talked about how we came second at trivia last night and won a $25 voucher....then you may have got a wider audience....

6:48 AM  
Blogger I-Rock said...

those red bulls fried my brain and I have no memory of proceedings.

6:52 AM  
Blogger tangles said...

I think that the thing with "energy" is that we have a much more awestruck relationship with the concept of energy full stop, because it is the one that gets things done. Sequentially and the doer of things gets to the supreme heart of the mystery of life. No wonder you are feeling slightly dizzy. Momentums are easily swept aside as being merely causal comments on the future. That’s what I think – but tis late and I am weary.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer dogs to cats. I always have. Don't know why!

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home